course »How to Help Youth in Care Step Back from a Crisis

Date: 7/12/2022, 1:00 pm—3:00 pm
County: Training Offerings
Location: DISTANCE LEARNING
Sponsor: Aldea Children & Family Services
Phone: 707-557-4560
It is said that approximately 65% of communication consists of non-verbal behaviours.  Of the remaining 35%, inflection, pitch, and loudness account for more than 25%, while less than 10% of communication is actually “said”.  This training will explain how to first use non-verbal communication to help an agitated youth in care step down from being in panic mode. Once non-verbal tactics are in place, verbal de-escalation can be a logical next step in dealing with someone who is agitated.  Remember, reasoning with an enraged person is not possible.  The first and only objective in de-escalation is to reduce the level of arousal so that discussion becomes possible. The trainer will teach the general guidelines for verbal de-escalation.